Urban Policy and Research Program (UPReP)
The Urban Policy and Research Program (UPReP) is the UChicago Institute of Politics’ academic year internship program that offers students substantive, paid internship opportunities in policy, research, data, and public service. In partnership with UChicago Career Advancement, University of Chicago Crime Lab and Urban Education Lab, the IOP developed, manages, and provides funding for this program. UPReP aligns with the IOP’s mission to inspire our students to pursue careers in politics and public service and helps the IOP to achieve that goal. The program offers students policy and research internships in local government agencies and Chicago almermanic offices, allowing them to utilize their rigorous UChicago education to tackle complex urban challenges. Students’ internships are supplemented by monthly events and programming, and the opportunity to reflect on their experiences and learn from their peers.
Internships run from October 2016 to June 2017 and students are paid a $2,000 stipend for approximately 10 hours/week. Applications for the 2017/18 year will open in the summer of 2017.
The UPReP program is made possible through the generous support of the Irving Harris Foundation and The Clinton Family Fund.
UPReP internships benefit students, participating Chicago area agencies and organizations, and the University of Chicago in several important ways:
- Local governments receive policy, data, and research analysis in a time of limited budgets.
- Students gain valuable hands-on experiences and skills to further their public service careers, and receive a $2,000 stipend for their work.
- The IOP accomplishes its mission of training the next generation of leaders in public service.
- The Crime and Urban Education Labs further their mission of providing insights from data-driven research to help agencies and non-profits develop innovative new approaches to reducing violence and improving our urban education systems.
- UChicago students make tangible contributions toward improving the quality of life throughout Chicago and beyond.
Please contact Karnika Iyengar, Director of Career Development, at email@example.com with any questions.