Political Exploration Trips
At the Institute of Politics, it is important to offer students opportunities to delve into political and public service issues that are important to them in a number of ways. In order to offer students the opportunity to engage actively with issues beyond campus, the IOP hosts political exploration trips to key areas of the country and the world each year!
Each trip offer groups of 10-20 students the opportunity to meet with practitioners and explore internship and career options outside of Chicago. Unless otherwise noted, all undergraduate and graduate students, regardless of program or major, are encouraged to apply to attend IOP trips.
Please contact Sam Gonzalez, Partnerships & Engagement Coordinator, at email@example.com with any questions.
Jakarta, Indonesia | June 11-19, 2017
Five selected students from UChicago will be joined by students from Harvard University and Georgetown University in Jakarta, Indonesia. These 15 U.S. students will be paired with 15 students from BINUS University in Indonesia. The trip will be led by the UK-based organization Common Purpose, which docuses on developing global leaders. Students will meet with local officials, non-profit leaders, and everyday citizens in an attempt to answer the question: how can global cities best respond to the pressures of growth, inequality and sustainability in the 21st century?
- Washington, D.C. (March 20-24, 2017)
- Springfield, IL (February 9-10, 2017)
- Cleveland, OH for the 2016 Republican Convention (July 17-22, 2016)
- Philadelphia, PA for the 2016 Democratic Convention (July 24-29, 2016)
- Havana, Cuba (June 11-19, 2016) | VIDEO
- Washington, D.C. (March 21-23, 2016) | VIDEO (2015)
- Amherst, MA for the 2016 IMPACT National Conference (February 18-21, 2016)
- Springfield, IL (February 11-12, 2016) | VIDEO (2015)
- Des Moines, IA for the 2016 Iowa Caucuses (January 31-February 2, 2016) | VIDEO
- San Francisco, CA (December 2015) | VIDEO
- China (September 2014) | READ