Every summer, the Institute of Politics offers over 225 domestic and international internship opportunities to undergraduate and graduate students. From legislative offices to think-tanks to news agencies, students have the chance to explore internships in a variety of politically-related fields and organizations.
Please contact Karnika Iyengar, Director of Career Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
IOP Summer Internships
Our robust summer internship program is unlike any other, as every IOP internship we offer is paid. Domestic internships are funded at $4,000 and each international internship is funded at $5,000, so students can take advantage of these opportunities to explore and engage in public service, regardless of their financial situation. Deadlines are rolling, beginning in January and going through late April/early May. Internships are posted on Handshake or GRAD Gargoyle and are advertised in the IOP’s Thursday student newsletter.
If you’re a student who would like to learn more about applying, please visit our IOP Summer Internship Program FAQs.
If you’re an employer who would like to learn more about hosting a student, please feel free to review our employer one-pager.
For a list of organizations with whom we partnered in the summer of 2017, please click here.
The IOP also provides this internship funding to students who are accepted into the White House and State Department internship programs. The IOP is proud to provide stipends for students who are awarded these highly competitive internships such that all students, regardless of financial background, can accept these opportunities. Please contact Karnika Iyengar, Director of Career Development, at email@example.com for more information.
IOP Stipend Program
In addition to the Summer Internship Program, the IOP provides a small number of stipends to students who have found an internship opportunity on their own in politics, policy or a related field . The IOP’s Summer Stipend Program offers the opportunity to apply for a $2,000 stipend to support a substantive summer internship. The program is open to both undergraduate and graduate students.
Applications are read name-blind. The main criteria we consider are:
- Relevance of the opportunity to the mission of the IOP and a focus on policy, politics, and public service.
- Please note, we define these fields broadly; to see the types of internships we support directly, please go here.
- Financial Need
- Students are eligible to apply for an IOP Stipend even if they are receiving funding from other grants or sources. Students whose internships are entirely unpaid will receive priority consideration for these stipends.
- Demonstrated interest and/or engagement in the fields of policy, politics, and public service.
- Students are asked to outline their engagement in these fields, but prior work experience is not required.
Applications for Summer 2018 stipends are now closed. There are two rounds of application deadlines for summer stipends in early May and early June of every year.
Please contact Karnika Iyengar, Director of Career Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.