Summer IOP/Metcalf Interns
The Institute of Politics offers around 300 domestic and international internships each summer to undergraduate students. Each domestic internship is funded at $4,000 and each international internship is funded at $5,000, so undergraduate students can take advantage of these opportunities to explore and engage in public service. From legislative offices to think-tanks to news agencies, students have the chance to explore internships in a variety of politically-related fields and organizations. The IOP's Summer Stipend Program allows students who have already independently secured an internship in politics, policy or a related field to apply for a $2,000 stipend to support their summer work. Additionally, while Metcalf internships are not available to graduate students, the IOP has partnered with various UChicago graduate schools to help support paid summer internships for graduate students.
These internships benefit both organizations and students in several concrete ways:
- Government agencies and organizations gain essential research, data, and policy analysis in a time of limited budgets. In the summer of 2015, our students contributed over 100,000 hours of work to the employers with whom they interned.
- Organizations benefit from the exceptionally bright, hardworking, and dedicated UChicago students who often work on projects crucial to the organization’s goals and mission. Eighty percent of our employers return each summer to host UChicago interns.
- UChicago students gain valuable hands-on experiences and skills to further their public service interests and careers.UChicago students learn essential interpersonal skills and benefit from their IOP mentor’s guidance.
- August-September: IOP connects with organizations and asks them to assess their internship needs.
- October-November: IOP confirms job descriptions with employers.
- December-April: Students review and apply for internship postings.
- February-April: Employers review application packets, interview candidates, and select their summer interns. IOP processes the paperwork on behalf of selected students.
- Mid- to late-June: UChicago students begin their internships at employers’ organizations.
Did You Know?
STATE DEPARTMENT & WHITE HOUSE INTERNSHIPS: For the summer of 2015, the IOP provided stipends over 20 students interning at either the U.S. Department of State or the White House. These internships are extremely competitive; often 12,000 students apply for only 1,200 internship spots at the State Department. Although only 10% of total applicants are accpted overall, close to 20% of UChicago applicants were accepted this summer. However, traditionally these internships are unpaid. Therefore, the IOP is proud to provide stipends for students who are awarded these highly competitive internships such that all students, regardless of financial background, can accept these, and other Metcalf, opportunities.
INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIP PLACEMENTS: During the summer of 2015, students interned in 14 different countries, including Belgium, France, China, Ethiopia, U.A.E., and Sweden. Host sites include nine embassies, two think-tanks, and several non-profit organizations.
IOP Stipend Program
Is your summer internship in politics, policy or a related field? The IOP’s Internship Stipend Program offers the opportunity to apply for a $2,000 stipend to support a substantive summer internship. The program is open to both University of Chicago undergraduate and graduate students.
- Students who have already secured an internship in politics, policy or a related field can apply to the IOP for funding. We define these fields broadly; to see the types of internships we support directly, please go here.
- Students are eligible to apply for an IOP Stipend even if they are receiving funding from other grants or sources. However, students who have Metcalf or IOP Summer 2016 internships are not eligible for these stipends.
- Students whose internships are entirely unpaid will receive priority consideration for these stipends.
- To apply for the IOP Stipend Program, please fill out this application form. The first round deadline is May 2, 2016 at 11:59pm. The second round deadline is June 1, 2016 at 11:59pm.
With questions about the IOP Stipend Program, please contact Dillan Siegler at email@example.com.